Dawson St

Sunday, April 22, 2007

A weekend of trials

This weekend was an interesting one working on the bathroom. Thursday night I put the Heat Weave down on the floor and did a dry layout of the tile to finalize the pattern. Things at this point were still going well. The heat mat adds about 1/16th to the height of the floor. However, it doesn't do this uniformly. In other words there are some dips between the wires. No problem. Thinset should take care of this issue. Well not so fast. At least where the little hex tiles are concerned. These tiles have to be the toughest tile I've worked with. Granted they come in nifty little mats, and they do look cool, but this outward show of convenience and coolness are just a show. The tiles are truly the work of a sinister force. Lets just say there is a fair amount of thinset on top and in the joints of these tiles that I have to clean off before grouting. In retrospect I should have poured some leveling compound over the Heat Weave and then applied the thinset. A couple pictures of the electric mat and the final tile pattern (I'll be cleaning that).

Item number 2, lighting. My wife bought a nice light for over the medicine cabinet and I went to install it today. Guess what? The electrical box for it is not centered over the cabinet. And no I can't center it over the cabinet without cutting out a stud. Guess I could have gone there, but just didn't want to. Return the light and find something else, not quite as nice, but still pretty good.

What went well? Well I got the medicine cabinet in and the molding around it and the top of the wainscotting. A little action with the scumbuster this week to clean off the thinset frosting and there'll be grout down by the weekend.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home