Dawson St

Friday, April 07, 2006


Take it to the Shed

Yeah, just about finished up making a garden shed to store our stuff in. The basement was getting a little overrun. And since we don't have a garage or space to put one, the next best thing is a shed. I used a lot of recycled wood on this project. Where I work has a factory that puts together big things that fly in the air. A by-product of all this manufacturing work is wood crates, pallets etc. This stuff is made of some incredible wood products (all marine grade plywood, and dimensional lumber you won't find anywhere else) and to my knowledge the crates and what not make a one way trip from our suppliers to my company. At least my company offers this "refuse" to its employees before it is crushed up and trucked to the landfill. The only catch is that you have to dismantle the crates. But hey, it's free wood.

Here's the progress so far. I'll get around to siding it. I'm going with some reclaimed cedar shingles. Ought to look pretty nice when done.

2 Comments:

  • Looks good dude! What about lighting? I know that our shed got really really dark and that lights were key. I was thinking about a little solar kit, put a couple of LED's in that bad boy? Honestly we picked up some discontinued yard lights from lowes that would be perfect. Just a little wiring and a switch and you would be totally green!

    maybe a skylight or one of those vent / pop up things that you see on old 70's vans?

    By Blogger donutboy, At 6:36 AM  

  • what about the shingles? how did the light work out?

    By Blogger donutboy, At 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home